The Royal Alexandra Theatre (affectionately known as the “Royal Alex”) opened in
1907. It was named, with royal permission, for King Edward II’s wife, Queen Alexandra.
The theatre underwent six months of extensive restoration and renovations in 2016. The original design elements of the theatre were cleaned and restored and brand new seats installed. A new seating layout also provides additional legroom to allow for the increased height of the modern population. The theatre reopened in November of 2016 with the hugely popular Canadian musical Come from Away. It has a capacity of 1244 (reduced from the pre-renovation total of 1497) on three levels.
The Royal Alex was named a National Historic Monument in 1987. As such, it must be maintained in the style and appearance of a 19th century theatre and, therefore, elevators cannot be added to the building. Wheelchair seating is available only on the orchestra level and the dress circle and balcony are accessible by stairs only.